All across Ireland, students and teachers are raising awareness and availability of products with the FAIRTRADE Mark. A Fairtrade School is one that has made a commitment to supporting and using Fairtrade products.
We do not visit schools to give talks but check out your local community, town, city. If you would like to join our Fairtrade mailing list please email email@example.com
So why become a Fairtrade School?
Because it’s only fair that the people who produce what we eat, wear and use should get paid enough to live on and a chance to improve their lives. Fairtrade for the whole school means the school gets local and national recognition and contributes to making the world a fairer place.
Fairtrade… for pupils and students
- helps to develop lots of new skills
- has a positive influence on the school community
- is part of something that’s happening all over the country and around the world
- is fun!
Fairtrade… for teachers
- provides opportunities to enhance many areas of the curriculum
- provides opportunities to explore citizenship from a global perspective
- gives pupils an opportunity to participate and take responsibility for their decisions
- encourages critical thinking, and offers opportunities for challenge and confidence building
So how does a school become a Fairtrade School?
To become a Fairtrade School you need to meet 5 goals:
- Cover Fairtrade in the classroom
- Show the What is Fairtrade Video in your school
- Get your teachers to serve only Fairtrade tea and coffee in the staff room
- If you have a canteen, tuck shop or vending machine, convert some products to Fairtrade
- Organise a Fairtrade promotion or event during Fairtrade Fortnight
To find out more on how to become a Fairtrade School, download “Got the Fairtrade Habit?”. This explains the goals in detail and also contains some useful tips and ideas. Once you have completed the 5 goals to become a Fairtrade School you can apply to Fairtrade Ireland or to your local Fairtrade Town’s Steering Committee for your Fairtrade Schools’ certificate.
Best of Luck with your campaign!